The Stone Tablet, made from white limestone, weighs about 800 kilograms and it is 99,5 centimetres high, 199 centimetres wide, and 7,5 to 9 centimetres thick. It was made in circa 1100 AD, and it represents an important source of information, with respect to the history of Croats, the Croatian language, and the stages of development of the Glagolitic script. The Tablet demonstrates the sovereignty of the Croatian king Zvonimir, who donated the land on the island to the Church. Along with the linguistic and literary importance, this Stone Tablet also possesses a great historical significance, because, for the first time in Croatian history, the name of a ruler of Croatia – king Zvonimir, was mentioned in the text of the tablet in Glagolitsa.
The monastery also owns a rich zoological collection consisting of a large seashell collection and unique animal specimens, such as the one-eyed lamb.
Tourist Office of the Commune of Njivice-Omišalj, Tel/fax. 841-042,
Omišalj stands on Vela stena, a cliff 85 metres above sea level, dominating the almost three kilometre long Omišalj Bay. It is the first settlement on the island after Krk Bridge (2 km back), and Rijeka Airport is also in the vicinity.
Tourist Office of the Commune of Njivice and Omišalj, Ribarska obala 10, 51512 NJIVICE, tel 846-243, 846-735, fax: 847-662,
A settlement on the north west part of the island (10 km south of Krk Bridge), located in the sheltered bay called Beli Kamik. Once a small fishing village, it is today one of the most attractive holiday making centres on the island.
Tourist Office of the Commune of Malina, Obala 46, 51511 MALINSKA, Tel/fax. 858-254, tel 859-207
In a wide bay on the north west coast of the island, 15 km south of Krk Bridge. It is the centre of the Dubašnice area, which was named after the luxuriant oak forests (dub being a Slavonic root for oak).
PORAT – VANTAČIĆI
Porat-Vantačići (3 km from Malinska) has a Third Order Franciscan monastery and the St Mary Magdalene Church from 1500.
Tourist Office of the Commune of Vrbnik, Placa Vrbničkog statuta 4, 51516 VRBNIK, tel/fax. 857-479
This spot lies in the south east of the island and is 37 km from Krk Bridge. It stands on a 48 metre high cliff over the sea. It is a wine-growing area and famed for the local wine called Vrbnička žlahtina.
A smallish settlement 6 km north west of Vrbnik, with a sandy beach in Sv. Marko Bay.
Tourist Office of the City of Krk, Vela placa 1/1, 51500 KRK, tel/fax: 051/221-414
TIC / Tourist Information Centre/ April – October
Obala hrvatske mornarice bb, tel: 220-226
A city and port on the western side of the island, 25 kilometres from Krk Bridge. A one-time Roman municipality and centre of the Frankopans, the dukes of Krk. This is the administrative, political, economic and religious centre of the island.
A cape just opposite the island of Cres, 17 km north west of Krk. A forest of holm oak (1 hectare) is a forest vegetation reserve. By the Church of the Immaculate Conception (1277), a Third Order Franciscan monastery was built in the 15th century.
A village 12 km north west of Krk town. Once a fishing village, today it has developed into a holidaymaking spot.
A smallish settlement 7 kilometres away from Krk, with an interesting rural architecture including the Parish Church of St James (Jakov) of the 19th century.
Tourist Office of the Commune of Punat, Obala 72, 51521 PUNAT Tel/fax: 854-970, tel 854-860
This is on the south west of the island, 35 kilometres from Krk Bridge, in the broad and sheltered bay called Puntarska Draga. It is the greatest century of sailing-oriented tourism in the Adriatic. It is known for the production of excellent quality oil from local olives.
A fishing village 10 kilometres south of Punat. Alongside its pebbly beach, its greatest value lies in the unspoiled nature, with its terraced gromače and stone-built sheep folds, its stone desert and cliffs, the habitat for medicinal and aromatic herbs.
Tourist Office of the Commune of Baška, Kralja Zvonimira 114, 51523 BAŠKA Tel/fax: 051/856-544, tel 856-817
Baška is at the extreme south east end of the island, 43 from Krk Bridge. A settlement of an interesting maritime architecture, it stretches along the almost 2 kilometre long strand, reckoned one of the world’s finest beaches.
In the immediate vicinity of Baška (4 kilometers). The 45th parallel goes through the settlement.
This lies in the Baška valley. A church on an eminence is a well-known Marian shrine, Our Lady of Gorica.
This is located in fertile Baška polje (2 km north of Baška). It is famed in Croatian cultural history for the ancient stone-tablet with its Glagolitic inscription (ca 1100) that was found in the Early Romanesque St Lucy’s Church.
Tourist Office of the Commune of Dobrinj, Stara cesta bb, 51515 ŠILO Tel./Fax. 852-107
Dobrinj lies at the north eastern end of the island, some 21 kilometres from Krk Bridge, and is the only centre in the island that is not located alongside the sea. It is first mentioned in a Glagolitic script written deed of gift by the famous Dragoslav, dated 1 January 1100.
SOLINE, KLIMNO i ČIŽIĆI
Smaller settlements in the immediate vicinity of Dobrinj, located along the spacious Soline Bay, known for its pre-Roman salt pans and its medicinal mud for the treatment of bone ache. There are an anchorage for small boats and a shipyard in Klimno.